Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Happy Birthday, DICK SHEEHAN

My late mentor and dear friend Richard "Dick" Sheehan would have been 73 years young today. Sadly, Dick died on June 5, 2005, having suffered, among other things, sudden acute lung failure. With all my mental and physical faculties opertaing at full speed today, I still cannot find a way to express the wonder at the dual experience this loss has created in my life.

While deep sadness was (and sometimes is) the overall feeling, I am also filled with a sense of comfort as Dick's words fill my mind as I move through my life now without his wise in-person counsel. Just like the lyrics of a favorite song from years past, his comments and phrases are often triggered by daily events. They are far too numerous to list here, yet I will say this: They were always filled with reality and love.

Now that I'm writing about it, perhaps I can find a way to express this wonder: I can simply live the life he would have wanted for me. I suppose that is the nature of life -- to learn and grow, and then move forward and try to help others.

None of us lives forever, at least not here on earth. So it is probably best that we honor those who have lived their lives before us by continuing the legacy they built for us, especially when that legacy was one of service to our fellow man. (And maybe we don't need even to wait until they're gone.)

I love you, Dick. Thank you for everything...

1 Comments:

Blogger Tony Westbrook said...

Just read this and am indeed saddened by his passing. I echo your sentiments and remember a man who truly enjoyed the wonderful life he had created for himself.
He leaves behind many wonderful people who were touched by his presence here on earth.

3:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home